MIDI Step Sequencer
Updated: March 11, 2013
Kudzu’s Technical Director, Ian, is an electronic wizard when it comes to MIDI devices. When Kudzu made its way into the world, Koushion was one of the first creations that he wanted to build. Koushion a MIDI step sequencer that allows you to easily program melodies and drum patterns using your existing hardware synthesizers, drum machine, or soft synths and samples in your DAW.
This year, Kudzu’s President travelled to Berlin to spread the word about Koushion. Here’s a sample of a few agency’s from Berlin who are using Koushion:
- Gostimirović Music Management
- Jackmode Agency
- Stefan Eichinger / LOPAZZ
- 16 steps per scene (up to 128 steps in chain mode)
- 8 scenes with independent midi channel per scene
- 4 playback modes: single, simultaneous, chain, rebound
- Key switching between any major, minor, or pentatonic scale
- Adjustable quantization (1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32)
- Quantized scene switching
- MIDI clock send/receive
- Tap to set tempo (great for syncing with a live band)
- Velocity control
- Monophonic drawing mode (only allows one note per step; great for programming leads)
- Wireless connectivity via CoreMIDI Network Sessions or rtpMIDI
- Automatic integration with other apps via CoreMIDI virtual ports. Open up a synth in the background and Koushion will trigger the notes!
- Multiple layer support (exponential flexibility increase!)
- Dark theme for better lighting in club settings and low-light environments
Koushion connects to your existing MIDI hardware via the iRig MIDI from IK Multimedia or a USB-to-MIDI cable and the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit. It also connects wirelessly to your DAW via a CoreMIDI (for OS X) or rtpMIDI (for Windows).
Koushion in Action
“Very inspiring interface, the matrix gives you great opportunities for jamming and composing, I am really happy with the result! I love switching the MIDI channels creating overlays and crazy effects!”